Subject: Lightwave List Status
From: djmccoy (Daniel J. McCoy)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 22:01:42 -0700 (PDT)

You may have noticed incoming e-mail announcing you've been subscribed
to the Lightwave and/or Video Toaster lists recently.  As some of you
may know, Bob Lindabury's lists were closed down due to connection
problems with his service provider.  Not knowing the fate of the lists,
two new Lightwave lists were created and messages started flowing again.
We then received e-mail from Bob looking for volunteers to take over
both the Lightwave and Toaster mailing lists.  Last week, I got a phone
call from Bob responding to my interest.  I immediately asked my service
provider to set up both lists hoping the official turn-over would happen
quickly.  I had subscribed people from all three lists on Sunday in an
effort to weed out any invalid or duplicate addresses.  So far, there's
been a few invalids weeded out, some subscription changes, and duplicates
pointed out.  I've been taking care of them as fast as possible.

This week, it was announced that the other Lightwave list at acs.eku.edu 
was going to shut down now that these are available.  Now that message
traffic may pick up on both of these two lists, I want to let all the
subscribers know that there is one more item I'm trying to get Netcom to
take care of with both list configurations.  As they are now, some 
older mail servers out there may redirect invalid e-mail back to the 
list.  This is NOT a good thing!  Netcom has mentioned they'll fix it
as soon as there is message traffic but I'd rather they fix it before
that.  I welcome increased message traffic, however, please understand
that we might see mail bounces on the list until Netcom changes things
on their end.  If I don't see this changing within a week, I'll go my
next route and ask for a UUCP account and run the mailing lists from
my home machine.

Also, some of you may have noticed you've been getting two copies of
each message.  The reason for this is that I took the addresses from
all three lists and merged them.  I checked for outright duplicates
however there are cases where one mail server used a different
address format.  If you've been receiving duplicate messages, by
all means let me know.  You should also be able to unsubscribe one by
sending to following in the body of e-mail sent to [email-masked]:

unsubscribe <list name> address

List name can be toaster-l or lightwave-l.  

Do know that I want nothing but the best for the lists.  I want them
to continue to be a great forum for information exchange.  I want to
try and avoid causing grief on all subscribers.  At the same time, I
know Bob hasn't given the final blessing and that he's mentioned
NewTek may be interested in maintaining the lists.  At this point, 
without knowing what is going to happen, perhaps we should just go
ahead and get message traffic going again and what happens will
happen.  I'd rather see messages than no messages.  :)

I thank you for your time and patience.  By all means, let me know if
there is something that needs to be taken care of (duplicates,
invalid addresses, ect).  I'll try and take care of them as fast as
I can.

Take care,
Dan

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

-- 
Daniel J. McCoy                                                       //
Internet : [email-masked] or [email-masked]      \X/
Portal   : Daniel J McCoy        BIX: dmccoy                       Amiga